Mold can grow and thrive in any environment where there is moisture and oxygen. It can be found in any organic substance such as wood and food. It can even grow on damp clothes, glass, carpets, and building materials. When it starts to develop, it becomes visible and releases a fetid smell. Wherever they grow, they thrive and destroy whatever they’re on over time. Some mold is toxic in nature and must be exterminated. This article describes the process of mold removal and decontamination so you can be aware of how it’s done.
The basic thing to do is to conduct a mold test to determine the kind of mold and its level of growth to also find out if you need a mold removal service. If not remediated immediately, it can lead to human illness such as allergies, asthma attack and respiratory conditions. Immediate removal of mold growth is one of the most essential processes in improving quality of air and preventing possible illnesses. The mold removal and decontamination process must only be performed by qualified professionals whether it is in your home or in a commercial building.
Mold Removal and Decontamination procedures
- After conducting a mold test and investigating the environment where the problem is occurring, the contaminated area is contained by creating barriers made of durable fire retardant poly sheeting. This is intended to seal all possible openings and to prevent cross-contamination of mold in nearby areas.
- Using a high-powered and high efficiency air filtered unit, all airflow in the contaminated area is released outside the premises.
- All porous items that can no longer be salvaged due to mold growth including wood, sheetrock, insulation materials and other building materials are taken out and properly disposed to avoid further contamination.
- All surfaces and non-porous items within the containment area are vacuumed using the air-filtered unit and sanitized using a disinfectant.
- If there are wood beams or framing materials, they may be encapsulated with an anti-microbial coating.
During the process of eliminating mold, keep yourself and the children away from the contaminated area as much as possible. Air contamination may cause allergies or trigger an asthma attack.
If you haven’t done a general check-up and cleaning of your home, you should start it now. The basement is where moisture gets trapped more heavily than other areas of the house. If you notice that mold has not contaminated a lot of your stuff, try cleaning them yourself, but to be sure, you would rather contact the experts in eliminating mold and decontaminating your home.